I have actually whipped this up twice in less than 6 months. Yes twice, if it's only one person devouring it then it will last a week or even longer if you are sharing I have no way of knowing since I literally only gave once piece to my boyfriend, bless his heart.
The first time was a dinner party and we all decided it would be a good idea to have breakfast for dessert. It was amazing! However I did not do the last steps which includes dipping the vanilla pound cake in egg and grilling it. So it was served a la mode, still had the french toast flavor though. The second time around I made it for breakfast & followed SuperMauras directions to the T!
|Vanilla Pound Cake French Toast|
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tsp coconut flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 5 whole eggs, 2 of them separated
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened or liquid
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract, the good kind
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 (1/2 inch thick) slices of cooled pound cake
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp canned coconut milk
- Raw honey for topping (it barely needs it)
- Butter or coconut oil for pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Sift the dry ingredients together and set aside
- Separate the eggs, setting the whites aside and putting the 2 yolks into a medium size mixing bowl. Crack open the rest of the eggs and add them to bowl with yolks
- In a separate larger mixing bowl, mix (using hand mixer or electric) beat the coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and lemon juice until well combined
- On low/medium speed, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients (coconut oil mixture) until well combined
- Add the eggs (not including the egg whites) one by one into the batter allowing each egg to be incorporated well before adding the next
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and then fold into the batter
- Pour batter into a greased bread/meatloaf pan (0r you can line with parchment paper) and spread out until even throughout
- Bake for 30-45 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Mine baked in 35 min.
- Cool completely. I put it in fridge.
- Once completely cooled, heat your pan over medium heat and melt butter in pan.
- Whisk your egg, vanilla, and coconut milk together in a bowl.
- Cut out 1/2 inch thick slices of bread. Since gluten free bread doesn't rise as much, it’s more like french toast sticks.
- Dip each piece in egg mixture, coating both sides evenly.
- Cook about 3 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned and egg is completely cooked.
- Serve with raw honey and sprinkled cinnamon!
Since I am altering the way I eat mentally and emotionally it is so rewarding knowing that once in a blue moon I can has me some french toast! Mhmmmmmmmmmmm....