August 30, 2013

Paleo Key Lime Pie

When I met my boyfriend I told him I would make a key lime pie that he could enjoy without spiking his sugar. He is diabetic after all. About 8 months later I finally got around to it. The recipe called for clear flavorless jello. Ummmm yea it was a total fail, it came out way to limey/sour. A couple months after that experience, I found a new recipe but for the life of me I don't remember where I found it. Nonetheless this one came out amazing!! I tweaked it a bit I am not a huge fan of honey so I used agave instead



For the crust:
6 pitted dates
1.5 cups unsalted almonds
1.5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
Pinch of sea salt

For the filling:
4 tsp lime zest
1/2 cup lime juice
4 tablespoons honey (I used agave)
1 cup canned coconut milk
3 eggs

At the end I ended up having to bake mine for 40-45 mins it was still ooey gooey after 30 mins. I suggest following the instructions and leaving it in a little longer if that same thing happens to you.

1. Pre heat oven to 350
2. In a food processor mix all crust ingredients until they are the consistency of almost a nut butter.
3. In a pie pan, spray with a non stick cooking spray and then press crust ingredients onto bottom of pan
4. Bake 6-8 minutes
5. While that's baking, mix all filling ingredients. Then pour on top of crust
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes. 
7. Let cool, even refrigerate if you have time before serving.

Make this and thank me later!
Let me know how it comes out!
Bon Appetite!!

1 comment:

  1. this looks yummy, Ill have to try it!

    Rosalyn
    www.just2fancy.com

    ReplyDelete