July 4, 2013

Spaghetti Squash a la Karina

Spaghetti squash!!! OMG why has no one ever shared this amazing squash with me before! Truly loving it, also gets rid of that pasta craving, which in my case is a life saver. 

Lately my cousin ChefNia has been introducing me to the world of Paleo and let me tell you, it's not too shabby. I am actually enjoying the idea of cooking every day, and being more creative. Now lets face it Rome was not built in a day, and neither are were my eating habits. It is an everyday challenge but one I am enjoying along the way.

Main Ingredients
  • 1 Spaghetti Squash
Sauce

  • Pam or Coconut Cooking Spray
  • 1 lb Ground Chicken
  • 1 Onion
  • 10-15 whole mushrooms
  • Heavy Whipping Cream or Coconut Milk
  • Light Savory Garlic cooking cream cheese
  • 2 pinches of Sea Salt 
  • Black Pepper
  • 1 tbsp of minced garlic (I love garlic)

Optional 

  • Bill Bragg’s amino acids
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Parmesan Cheese


Instructions

On a plate place Spaghetti Squash in the microwave. Now I put mine in for 20 minutes and this is what happened!



DON'T DO THIS! It still came out perfect but it was just messy. I did it this way because the oven just takes too long. So I recommend if you want to go the lazy way like me, just make sure you know your microwave. Once it exploded, I put it in the fridge to cool down. Do not forget to wear gloves because it will be pipping hot!

Now for the SAUCE! First chop the onions and the mushrooms. I used a slap chop after just to have smaller pieces. As for the mushroom I cut them in two ways, the first was small pieces and the second was just normal slices to have big chunks.

Once the chopping is done, saute each item separately. As I have learned the hard way that they cook at different speeds. I did not season them though, all I used was Pam. Then place them in a small bowl and set aside. 

Next start cooking the ground chicken. This is were I added some seasoning. I just added sea salt and pepper. While that is cooking...grab the spaghetti squash from the fridge and scoop out the spaghetti. Be careful the middle has seeds. I used a spoon to scoop it all out.

Now that you have your "spaghetti" in a big bowl, you can start putting the finishing touches on the sauce.

Once the chicken is done add the heavy whipping cream and garlic cream cheese. Now the  amount you add depends on how much sauce you want. Let that sit for 2 minutes and then add the onions and mushrooms we set aside earlier. Mix it all together for 2 minutes. 

If you haven't noticed this is a pretty low sodium dish and it was done on purpose. Not only is too much sodium bad for us but I also like it when my food doesn't taste all the same. If you have ever had spaghetti squash before, you know it is a tad sweet. Which is why there is no seasoning on it. When you mix the sauce with the "spaghetti" it is a perfect marriage, especially after adding some Parmesan cheese. If you need just a little more salt add Bill Bragg’s amino acids and some pepper flakes for a little kick.






No comments:

Post a Comment